Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughts for Thursday: Teacher, Teacher Can You Teach Me

For some some reason there currently is a backlash on teachers. I don't get it. These are the people who we entrust with our children to provide them an education. Why are we demeaning them? Do they really make that much money? In my opinion, no. Those bastards get the summer off. Really, do they? I know a number of teachers who take classes through the summer to keep their licenses current and improve on what they do. I know a number of teachers who put in many more than 8 hours a day in those "measly" nine months they work. I know, yes there can be a bad apple in the bunch, but to paint all teachers as "those who can't, teach," is crazy. I have seen teachers who love to see kids learn and take it all in, teachers that push in the slightest way, and teachers that just care what is going on in their students lives. So my Thought for Thursday is going to be a shot out to some of my former teachers, who I though made a difference in my life. 

Mr. Kelly, I loved your history class. I enjoyed how you threw in off the wall facts into lessons. You may not have been one of my actual basketball coaches, but I learned more about setting up and breaking a press from you, than anyone. I will never forget the day we argued in class on a topic and you held me after to discuss it further, even though you made me miss the bus and I had to walk a over a mile home in the dead of winter, I was glad you wanted to hear my point of view.

Mrs. Pertile, I always try to find way to use the word cantankerous.

Mrs. Gulan, even when I was struggling in your Physics class and begged for some extra credit, you said, no, I don't do extra credit, put in extra work. Those may not be your exact words, but that is what I got out of it. I still remember the tricks for learning the elements, A-U is that gold, A-Gee it is just silver. I got a lot out of your Chem classes, so much that I was actually bored in my first semester of college chemistry. 

Mrs. Sargent, though I may not have always liked your gym class, I still think you made up that dang game that was like half soccer/ half some other wacky game that I hated. You begrudgingly let me go play basketball with the boys after my turn on the balance beam was done. I was a bit nervous when you took over coaching volleyball, but you actually made me respect you in the way I always should have.

Ms Nagro, I know you will never get your true "props" but you were a great teacher. 

Mr. Rodegheiro, you always commented on my welding, enough to make me want to take another one of your classes. I regret that I could never fit one in. I always wonder if I missed my calling being a welder.

There are more out there. These are a few that I felt stood out, that I still think about, and something they taught me still pops into my thoughts now and then. 

Do you have a teacher that stands out for you? Go ahead give them a pat on the back.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Robyn! I too don't understand why teachers get so much flack - I only ever made it as far as substitute teaching because I knew I couldn't handle a classroom full of kids 5-days-a-week! I marvel everyday at the things my children are learning - things that I have tried and tried and tried to teach them but which they just didn't get until their teachers found ways to make it stick.

    I had a number of teachers who stood out and was thankfully able to tell many of them how much I appreciated them when I was subing - I was in the same district and even covered classes for a few of them!

    ReplyDelete