Saturday, March 12, 2011

Was it about the Budget or something Bigger??

When Governor Walker's budget repair bill came out, he put in a little provision that ended collective bargaining and the collection of Union dues by the state through payroll. He stated he needed to end collective bargaining to  give local governments the "tools" to balance their budgets. Hmm, if that is really really what it was for, why were local governments saying they liked collective bargaining. Why, would one need to take away collective bargaining if unions were willing to give monetary concessions to help balance the budget? What does seniority, job postings, work schedules, and the like have to do with balancing the budget. The people of Wisconsin were told over and over the same sentence, it will be a "modest concession" necessary to give  "tools" to local governments, tools, tools, tools. I was wondering if anyone had started a drinking game with the words tools and modest.  The polls started turning, the people of Wisconsin weren't in favor of stripping workers rights. If unions were going to give concessions, why not negotiate? Why not indeed? 

This is why not: 



The Senate Leader must not have thought that anyone was going to see him actually say the truth, that it isn't about the budget, it is about the 2012 election. WTF. Fitzy must have gotten scolded for letting the cat out of the bag, because shortly afterwards this happened.


and then the Senate passed the bill in like 3 min. Seriously they were reading roll and such so fast you could barely understand them. I would've posted a clip, but I couldn't find one that was just the vote. 50 years of collective bargaining that was created in Wisconsin....gone.

I admit it, I cried. I have no idea what is going to happen at my workplace. I do know, I will vote to keep my union, I will still pay dues, and for the first time in my life I will actually donate money to a political party and Fitz boys, it isn't the one you belong to. In fact I have half a notion to see what it would take to run against one of you the next election either of you are up.

I don't know what they were thinking, well, I guess I do since Walker came out and basically said on Thursday morning, in a couple months we'll just get over this, like it never happened. Sorry buddy, but we aren't going to forget and we aren't going to just get over it.




No comments:

Post a Comment